We decided to make this Turkey cupcake cake for my daughters Thanksgiving party. It turned out really cute! The turkey was easy to make and the kids loved it! First of all I like saying Turkey Cupcake cake…turkey cupcake cake… turkey… bet you can’t say that 10 times!
For the cupcakes I made cinnamon cupcakes and I covered them in pumpkin icing. This eliminates the need for any food colorings. The turkey feathers are made from toasted coconut, though if you had someone with a nut allergy you could make white icing and pumpkin icing to give the look of feathers. We used tootsie rolls for the claws and a laffy taffy for the gobbler, the eyes are just chocolate chips.
Cinnamon Cupcake Ingredients
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 8 Tbsp softened butter
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup pumpkin (not pie mix)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dash of nutmeg
- 3 tsp milk (if necessary)
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy in a small bowl. Add egg whites and vanilla, beat in. In separate bowl add flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add by the spoonful to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 375° for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For the frosting cream the butter and vanilla, then add the pumpkin. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar. Add milk if the icing is too thick; beat until light and fluffy. refrigerate when done.
For the turkey
- 4 tootsie rolls for claws and beak
- 1 laffy taffy or other red mailable candy
- 2 cups coconut – toasted
- 2 chocolate chips for the eyes
After the cupcakes have cooled ice them, spread them out in the shape of the turkey. Leave 4 cupcakes to the side for the turkey body. Sprinkle the cooled toasted coconut on the ‘turkey feathers’. Place the body in the middle, add the gobbler and the claws. Enjoy the Turkey Cupcake cake, let me know if you made it. Gobble gobble!